Public Health Champion Awards
About the awards
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a nonpartisan, independent think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Its mission is to provide independent, in-depth, and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and the economies of other sub-Saharan African countries. As a part of its first ever organised health forum, the organisation will be issuing an award to Best Public Health Champion in Africa.
The rationale for recognizing public health champions is to recognize the efforts of individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to public health through advocacy for and involvement in impactful health policies, strategies and programmes with proven public health achievements and substantial improvement in health outcomes with equity in their country.
Criteria for the awards
The scope of the awards covers individuals who have contributed to greatly advancing population and personal services and inter-sectoral actions. In addition, contributions are in line with any one of our six core functions of the World Health Organisation.
- Providing leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed.
- Shaping the research agenda and stimulating the generation, translation, and dissemination of valuable knowledge.
- Setting norms and standards and promoting and monitoring their implementation.
- Articulating ethical and evidence-based policy options.
- Providing technical support, catalysing change, and building sustainable institutional capacity
- Monitoring the health situation and assessing health trends