Unfolding Climate Crisis: Reimagining the Role of Global South beyond Glasgow (COP26)
October 20 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm| Free
COP 26 is taking place this year in Glasgow in November, and intends to lay a roadmap on Paris Climate Agreement besides India holding G20 presidency in 2022, among many other plans afoot regionally and globally. Global climate plans up to 2050 are also being put in place.
With the latest IPCC report, 2021, unequivocally placing the climate crisis as a ‘Red Code’ for humanity, the clarion call is since out, and will be debated more widely in Glasgow during COP 26 conference on measures to combat global climate crisis through collective action and global partnerships, with a definitive role for global South, if the success on rallying around the climate crisis and a strong push back were to succeed and fructify, in a substantial manner. Climate change has some serious consequences both for Asia and Africa (all over the world) with common threads running through their collective action. Ahead of the COP 26 taking scheduled during the first fortnight of November, 2021 the Nkafu Policy Institute will organize a webinar on the theme: “Unfolding Climate Crisis: Reimagining the Role of Global South beyond Glasgow (COP26)”.
OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED RESULTS
The goal of the discussion is to increase awareness on issue of climate finance pledged by the developed nations to developing ones, transfer of technology and capacity building.
The specific objectives of the discussion are to provide a platform for:
- Understanding the climate crisis agenda and accompanying issues; and
- Reimaging the role of global South during and beyond Glasgow COP 26 and need for a global architecture for collaboration and collective action to rally at global climate tipping point.
The conversation will be recorded, converted into a knowledge product for library and distribution purposes and for subsequent outreach.
Welcome remarks and brief introduction
- Fri Asanga: Chief Executive Officer, Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation
- Ambassador Anup K Mudgal: Career Indian Diplomat
- Prof. Cristina D’Alessandro : Senior Research Fellow, Research Center PRODIG – Paris, France
- Dr. Lazare Chapunga: Research Fellow, Exxaro Chair In Climate and Sustainability Transitions,University of South Africa
- Dr. Danijel Mlinaric: Founder and President , Center for Economic Diplomacy, Zagreb, Croatia
- Pooran Pandey: Non-Resident Fellow – Sustainable Development, Nkafu Policy Institute