POLICY ANALYSIS CAPACITY BUILDING SEMINAR
Saturday 06 May 2017
Nkafu Policy Institute, the Think Tank of the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is organizing an in-house POLICY ANALYSIS CAPACITY BUILDING SEMINAR for its analysts. Conducted and moderated by external professionals and experts in policy analysis, the seminar would seek to equip (5) analysts of the Nkafu Policy Institute and (20) other interested persons with the understanding, skills and methods of information gathering, knowledge and training that enables them to effectively, accurately and objectively perform POLICY ANALYSIS.
The seminar would briefly address the huge gap between policy and practice in Cameroon. It would also stress on the need for feasible and strong policy recommendations – on the part of analysts – that take into account immediate economic, political and cultural conditions on the ground.
The Seminar would take place on Saturday 06 May 2017 beginning exactly at 08:30am with registration of participants. The event would take place at the Foundation’s Conference Room and would last a total of four (8) hours, which means from 09:00 am to 17:00 pm.
Languages of the seminar: English and French
Registration is NOW CLOSED
Guest Speaker: One trainer and one expert to gather the seminar materials.
Opening Segment: Bridging the Gap between policy and practice in Cameroon and the Role of Policy Analysts.
Training phase 1:
The first phase will be based on the following:
- Source of policy writing;
- The general skills of policy analysis;
- How policy analysts typically work;
- Data collection;
- An example and a model of policy analysis.
Training phase 2:
The second phase will be based on the following:
- Research Methodology for Policy Analysis;
- Policy Writing [committing ideas and information to writing];
- Computer Assisted research for Policy Analysis.
Training phase 3:
The third phase will be based on past and current implementation of specific projects. The speaker will explain how the implementation of specific projects addressed certain policy limitations and laid the groundwork and necessity for a change or revision in policy.This would focus on how policy analyst can use an actual evidence based approach in analysis and policy recommendations.
The seminar would end with group work based on public policies in the domain of economics and sustainable development. During this session that will last one hour, each group would do the following;
- Identify a specific public policy that has not been implemented or its implementation has not delivered on expectations and
- Develop a blueprint or plan of analysis focuses on
- A review of the policy and problem it aimed at solving.
- Areas of weakness
- Possible alternatives or amelioration.
- Alternate methods of implementation.
- Possible benefits against the setbacks.
- Conclusion and methods to measure effectiveness.
Participants: Students, civil society organizations and other professionals from Think Tanks and government ministries: MINRESI, MINADER, Ministry of Basic Education, and Ministry of Higher Education, Ministry of Employment and Vocational Training.
Students: Any student nearing the end of his/or her undergrad studies or above is eligible.
Each participant has to come along with a self written paper, maximum 2000 words.
Expected number of Attendees: 25
Requirement of Attendance: 5000 FCFA per Person applicable for both Students and professionals.
- Blueprint of analysis on a specific policy area.
- Increase the number of freelance writers for the foundation.
- Reinforce the strength of articles from the foundation analysts.
The Foundation will provide the participants with:
- Certificates of Participation
- Coffee break
- Event files and pens.
Registration is NOW CLOSED