Effective Digitalization For The Development of Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) In Cameroon
August 11 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm| Free
Date & Time: 11th of August, 2021, from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Venue: Zoom Platform (Register Here)
In Cameroon, about 98% of all businesses are Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). In addition, 90% of these SMEs are “micro” enterprises (entities with fewer than five employees). Though business growth has been steadily rising over the years, 50% of new businesses fail within 3 years, and about 80% die within the first 5 years. SMEs are the primary vehicle for economic outputs, but they only have a small share of the economy and have a low success rate. Although these SMEs employ above 60% of the population, 70% of the SMEs still operate informally and lack adequate managerial skills, proper accounting procedures, and sound financial planning. The majority of these SMEs do not have access to finance, lack appropriate skillsets.
The challenges faced by SMEs increased with the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic due to the barrier measures put in place. The production rate and the number of customers decreased with a direct impact on profits. GICAM, in one of its 2021 report, declared that 92% of companies indicated that the COVID-19 pandemic is having a very negative impact on their activities. Among those, SMEs (61%) were the most affected.
In one of the webinars organized by the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Center (SBEC) on the impact of COVID-19 on SMEs, it became clear that the adaptation of several companies is linked to digitization. In addition, the online service companies had instead made profits. Then digitalization is one of the most effective solution to solve these SMEs problems. Therefore, against this framework, the Small Business Entrepreneurship Center (SBEC) of the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation seeks to organize a webinar on the importance of effective digitalization for SMEs development in Cameroon.
Objective of the webinar discussion
The main objective of this webinar is to discuss how digitalization could permanently take a prominent place in the functioning of SMEs in Cameroon.
- To examine the contribution of digitalization in entrepreneurship.
- Examine the current challenges of digitalization on entrepreneurship in Cameroon.
- Critically assess government measures put in place to promote digitalization in the entrepreneurship sector in Cameroon.
- Identify and propose possible measures to ameliorate the conditions of digitalization in entrepreneurship in Cameroon.
- Experts in Public Policy and Policymakers
- Economists and Researchers
- Civil Society Organizations and other interested stakeholders
- Members of SBEC Network
- General public
Expected outputs and outcomes
At the end of the panel discussion, the participants will understand;
- The contribution of digitalization in entrepreneurs;
- The digitalization in the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Cameroon
- Current challenges faced entrepreneurs and government measures put in place to promote digitalization in entrepreneurship in Cameroon
- The possible actions needed to improve the use of digitalization in entrepreneurship in Cameroon.
Panelists and Moderator
- Dr Ahanda Sosthène Nicaise (Moderator)
- Madame Christel Youbi (President of SENAT JCI Cameroon)
- Mr Cyrille Schouamé (Head of Department of Corporate Culture Dissemination at minpmeesa.)
- Abara Dibaki (Consultant- Trainer, Entrepreneur. Promoter of the management and HR consulting firm OpenLab Advisory.)
- Olivier Emega BISSOM (Technical Director CAFCOOP Company)
This webinar is organized by the Small Business Entrepreneurship Center (SBEC) of the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation.
Venue and Date
The webinar is scheduled for the 11th of August, 2021, from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.