FUNCTIONS OF THE DIRECTOR
To provide leadership for the Foretia Foundation through advocacy in health, education, sustainable development and public policy in Cameroon and sub-Saharan Africa. Responsible for overall strategic planning, revenue generation, financial management, organizational development, staff management, and program operations.
Strategy and Planning
1. Develops and leads the strategy of the organization within the broad context of the local and national landscape by using performance measurements to guide strategic and operational decision-making.
2. Takes a leadership role in driving a collaborative process with the Board of Directors, staff and the public that would result in the development of goals, objectives and operational plans for the organization.
3. Oversees preparation of the annual budget and other necessary financial documents. Provides information and justifications for Board of Directors in its budgetary review and approval process.
4. Cultivates a strong partnership with the Board of Directors in setting policies consistent with the mission of the Foundation. Works, as needed, with all standing and ad hoc committees of the Board.
1. Leads, motivates and develops staff and board so that they are passionate about what the Foretia Foundation has achieved and are committed to working effectively toward continual improvement.
2. Ensures the organization has diverse staff with skills appropriate to the needs of the position through people management activities including hiring, separation of employment, ongoing staff development, performance management, compensation and benefits.
3. Ascertains that employment policies are adhered to in all employment practices and partners with the Board to implement changes.
4. Ensures that organization has the appropriate systems, physical space, and technology to operate efficiently and effectively.
1. Manages all fund development activities, including grant writing, cultivation and stewardship of donors, event planning, and identifying new resources. Actively seeks and maintains a diverse donor base of individual, business, foundations and government segments.
2. Builds long term relationships with key donor segments based on mission, cultivation and stewardship, program outcomes and sound fiscal management.
3. Leads organization’s financial growth in order to maintain healthy cash flow, provide full services to the public and maintain adequate reserves to support board-approved investments and risk-taking.
1. Promotes the Foundations’s visibility and welfare through participation and membership in community forums, civic organizations and activities that are aligned with the Foundation’s mission and vision.
2. Advocates at the regional, national and international level on issues that affect the lives of all peoples.
3. Develops a strategic marketing plan that provides a clear and concise message telling the Foundation’s story. Oversees the execution of marketing and media relations.
4. Represents the Foundation in all media relations by participating in interviews, developing press releases and all other media type engagements.
Program Development and Implementation
1. Oversees and supports the development, design and delivery of program initiatives, assuring that the goals and objectives are aligned with the Foundation’s overall strategic plan.
2. Oversees and supports the administrative components of all program services, including contract negotiations, contract and grant reporting and contracted work.
3. Provides for quality assurance monitoring of all foundation programs, assuring correction of any deficiencies in program services.
4. Undertake research projects; produce journal and book-length monographs on issues of national development; and lead issue-focused meetings, conferences, and other events.
1. A minimum of 5 years nonprofit work experience in comparable fields.
2. At least 3 years of demonstrated success in staff leadership, fundraising, partnership development and financial management.
3. Demonstrated success of effectively leading change and organizational growth through strategic planning.
4. Demonstrated knowledge in development, health, education and public policy issues that faces Cameroon and sub-Saharan Africa.
5. Demonstrated success in acquiring agency support through successful grant applications and general fund raising.
6. Strong fund development, marketing and public relations experience to successfully engage stakeholders, including funders, business partners, policy makers, media and communities.
7. Be fluent in both English and French with strong oral and written communication skills.
8. Personal qualities that include integrity, commitment to foundation’s mission, respect for diversity and the ability to inspire and motivate.
9. Must be Microsoft Office proficient, i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
1. Board of Directors
1. All foundation staff
The compensation and benefits package is competitive with comparable community-based nonprofits in the region.
Interested individuals should apply using this link
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so the Committee encourages qualified candidates to apply early.