Position: Peace and Security Policy Analyst
About The Institute
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a nonpartisan, independent think-tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation based in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Its mission is to provide independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and the economies of other sub-Saharan African countries and promote peace and security issues across Africa.
Founded in 2012 by Dr. Denis Foretia, the Nkafu Policy Institute seeks to advance public policies that help all Africans prosper in free, fair, peaceful and sustainable economies. Our reputation is founded on our independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Nkafu Policy Institute brings together leading analysts, experts and contributors from three continents, Africa, Europe, and America in the fields of governance and democracy; health and education; peace and security; science and technology; and economic policy.
The Nkafu Policy Institute gives a lot of credit to fostering Peace and Security issues in Africa, a continent which has become a particular turbid geopolitical area. We contribute to Peace and Security by publishing original articles, reports and policy briefs, submitted by established and new scholars, based in Africa and globally, that can influence mindsets, the academic exchange of knowledge in the areas of peace and security.
Therefore, we are serving as a platform for critical debate, policy recommendations and solutions on African peace and security challenges. By engaging intellectuals of peace and security, the Nkafu Policy Institute avails theoretical and practical knowledge that investigate African and international solutions to African security and peace problems.
Areas of research include but are not limited to: causes and consequences of violent conflict in Africa; conflict early warning and response mechanisms; the nexus between peace, security, governance and development; the role of African Union and RECs in conflict resolution; the role of women and youth in conflict resolution; post conflict peace-building processes. African common and national policies and international community commitment to peace building in Africa; leadership and cooperation in Africa; African shared values, democracy and governance in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions: Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute the following duties shall be as follows:
- Prepare a synthesis of the reports of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute. Identify common issues/challenges reported as well as good practices and potential areas for capacity building;
- Carry out mediation consultancies on local, national and regional conflicts in Africa;
- Undertake research to gather global good practices and analyses on Peace and Security Issues;
- Undertake policy analysis tasks in the field of peace and security;
- Write and publish articles and policy briefs and Op-Eds issues in the field of peace and security in Cameroon in particular and Africa as a whole;
- Participate in the execution of projects in the Peace and Security Division;
- Facilitate in training workshops and conferences related to Peace and Security issues in Africa;
- Contribute to the development of online and onsite training modules regarding peace and security and other related issues in English and French; and
- Organize webinars in peace and security related issues in English and French.
- Knowledge about international, regional and domestic peace and security challenges in Cameroon, Africa and the world;
- Previous experience of working on projects relating to the Peace, and Security Agenda;
- Proven research and writing skills; training/facilitation skills, and the ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, and contribute to a team environment of respect, recognition, and mutual accountability;
- Excellent inter-personal and general communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to follow deadlines and handle numerous tasks simultaneously and still deliver quality work products;
- Strong and proven integrity, time management and work prioritization and analytical skills; Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact and courtesy in relation to peace and security, development principles and projects.
- Strong commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of the Nkafu Policy Institute
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of the Nkafu Policy Institute in actions and decisions;
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity within the organization
- Organizational Awareness: Building staff competence, developing and empowering People; coaching and mentoring and creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Team work: Building and promoting effective teams, communicating information and ideas.
- Conflict sensitivity: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision making; risk management
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in peace and security studies, political science, human rights, development cooperation, gender studies, public administration, or any other related fields with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively relevant professional working experience, in the fields of peace and security, human rights, and/or gender/women and peacebuilding
Language Requirements: Fluent/professional spoken and written English and French
Application Deadline: 13 May 2021
Note: Applications are only accepted through the online application portal of the Nkafu Policy Institute.
Documents to be included when submitting the application are:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your experience explaining your suitability for the work;
- An up-to-date personal CV.
- A sample of your publication in the related field
- A most recent 4 x 4 passport-size photo
To apply for this job please visit www.emailmeform.com.