Website foretiafound Nkafu Policy Institute
Catalyzing Africa’s Economic Transformation
Background & General Description:
The Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation works to catalyze Africa’s Economic Transformation through social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health, and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. Our areas of work include sustainable development, science and innovation, health, leadership, education, entrepreneurship, economic and public policy. The Denis and Lenora Foundation is an umbrella non-profit institution with several departments including the Nkafu Policy Institute, the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Center, the Communication, and the Sustainable Development Programs.
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a Cameroonian think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation that provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and that of other sub-Saharan African countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is looking for an experienced Deputy Director for its Peace and Security Division within the Nkafu Policy Institute. This fulltime position will be based in Yaoundé.
Roles & Responsibility:
Reporting to the Director of the Peace and Security Division, the task, duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Director of the Peace and Security Division is to contribute substantially to Peace and Security section of the Nkafu Policy Institute and to help develop the capacity and competence (academic and technical) required to achieve Nkafu’s strategic objectives. This includes:
- Acting as the principal adviser to the Director of the Division in formulating and implementing the substantive work program of the Division.
- Assisting the Director in the overall management of the Division, overseeing its activities undertaken in the areas of conflict resolution and peacebuilding in the areas covered by the Division, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and coordinated both within the Division and Department;
- Supervising the research and analytical work of the Division on peace and security issues and ensures that the outputs produced by the Division maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- Promoting and facilitating leading-edge research, in the field of peace and security;
- Ensuring constant publication of research papers, articles etc.
- Organizing workshops and seminars for presentation of research finding;
- Writing practical, policy-oriented publications that are concise and polished in quick turnaround times;
- Developing and implementing engagements and research on nationally led prevention and peacebuilding strategies in conflict-affected areas;
- Working with major stakeholders to identify and develop innovative approaches to peace operations, linking them to prevention and peacebuilding agendas;
- Outreach to and collaboration with stakeholders, through events, meetings, briefings, and other actions;
- Acting as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Director;
- Performing other duties as required
Key Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Capable of carrying out independent research
- must be a team player
- results orientated
- pay attention to details
- must have publications in scientific journals of international standing
Education, and Experience:
- Must hold a PhD in any of the following discipline, (International relations, development, economic, political science, sociology
- At least 5 years working experience in an academic institution, public or private sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead and motivate a small team would be an advantage
All applications will be completed ONLINE using the Application Portal. To complete your application, you will need:
- A one-page cover letter indicating your research areas of interest (in PDF)
- A curriculum vitae/ Resume (in PDF)
- A professional photo
- A previously written work (published or unpublished) that demonstrates the candidate’s abilities (in PDF)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (starting March 06, 2023) and continue until the position is filled. The deadline for the receipt of applications is April 21, 2023. All applications must be submitted using the Online Portal below
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.emailmeform.com.