National Essay Competition on Food Security in Cameroon
(For Cameroonian youths 15 to 25 years old)
7th September – 21st September 2015
- About the Essay Competition
As part of activities to celebrate the 2015 World Food Day (16th October 2015) the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation in Cameroon is organizing a National Essay Competition targeting Cameroonian youths between 15 and 25 years of age.
- General Objective: To highlight the growing problem of food shortage, hunger and malnutrition in Cameroon
- Specific Objective: To engage Cameroonian youths in the fight against hunger
All essays should be on the topic “Eradicating Extreme Malnutrition (or Hunger) in Cameroon”
- Be a young Cameroonian male or female between the ages of 15 and 25
- Must be residing in any of the 10 regions in Cameroon
- Must attach a copy of birth certificate and a photo
- Details About Essay
- Categories: There are two (2) categories depending on the candidates’ age. There is a single essay topic for both categories. The categories are:-
- Junior Category (Candidates born between 16th October 1995 and 15th October 2000)
- Senior Category (Candidates born between 1st January 1990 and 15th October 1995)
- Essays must be in the form of an article or opinion piece
- Language of submission: Essays must be written either in English or French
- Essays should be submitted as a Microsoft Word document or PDF with 1cm margins, 12 Font Times New Roman. 1,000 words MAXIMUM
- Only one (1) submission is allowed per candidate
- Submission Period: All essay submissions must be received during the two (2) week submission period. All essays MUST be submitted directly online on the foundation website. The submission period will run from Monday 7th September 2015 at 12:00AM to Friday 21st September 2015 at 11:59PM. The website will automatically disable after the deadline and candidates will not be able to submit after this time.
- How to submit your entry
- All essays must be submitted directly through the website http://www.foretiafoundation.org/essay-competition/
- Selection Criteria
- All essays not in conformity with the format will be automatically disqualified as well as those essays with more than 1,000 words.
- Submissions will be judged on the strength of the arguments and on the quality of proposed recommendations.
- We seek essays that demonstrate originality as well as innovative recommendations.
- Any plagiarized submissions will be automatically disqualified.
- Essays must be the ORIGINAL work of the author and not previously published.
- Panel of Judges
- The panel of judges represents a distinguished group of Cameroonians and non-Cameroonian residing in Cameroon and abroad with extensive expertize in the food crisis in Cameroon. The judges are also perfectly bilingual in English and French
- Award Ceremony
- The Top – 3 candidates in each category will be invited to Yaoundé to participate in the “Symposium on Food Security in Cameroon” scheduled for the 16th of October 2015 at the foundation’s headquarters. The Foundation will cover transportation, lodging and feeding expenses for the two days candidates will spend in Yaoundé if they happen to come from a different region of the country.
- The Top – 3 candidates and their essays will be published on the foundation website and each finalist will receive a Certificate of Commendation
- While noting that financial compensation is NOT a major motivation in submitting an entry, the selection committee will however provide the following as a token of appreciation:
- Winner – 50,000 FCFA
- 1st Runner Up – 35,000 FCFA
- 2nd Runner Up – 25,000 FCFA
- About the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation was established to catalyze Africa’s economic transformation by focusing on social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. The foundation works in partnership with local governments, policy makers, private enterprises, civil society organizations as well as development partners to expand the resources available to entrepreneurs, farmers, and small business owners in addition to improving individual livelihoods.
- Contact Information
For any questions whatsoever send an email to email@example.com
- Once you’ve submitted your entry why not share the news with your friends on Twitter of Facebook?